Wednesday, February 7, 2007

"Africa" Time

Things move more slowly here. I've been told that's the case with most of the world outside of the US. Buses run on a flexible schedule, and may or may not arrive. Meetings don't start on time. Fast food is not.

But I think it's good for me. My patience level is definitely expanding. And I have begun to reevaluate (but not completely dismiss) the sense of urgency I feel in my own life.

As a part of our Life Skills courses at the YMCA we're teaching time management. The Zulu speakers in our group generally teach in Zulu - and I know when the topic comes up because it goes something like this: "zulu zulu zulu zulu ... time management ... zulu zulu zulu zulu." Apparently there is no direct translation, which isn't surprising.

1 comment:

Adam said...

i think i'm getting the hang of this new-fangled blog response thing...

the relativity of time, like temperature, is profound. I mean, just 7 weeks ago i thought that i had little free time, and that 15 degrees F was cold. today I know that 15 degrees F is a heatwave compared to -30 wind chill and that newborns are temporal accelerators.