Sunday, March 11, 2007

1 for 3

As of today, I have only made my return flight as planned on 1 out of 3 of my international trips. I arrived at the airport today and they had no record of me. My first clue that I was in trouble was when the check-in guy asked me, "Did you miss one of your connecting flights before this?" (I'm not really sure how that would work when I'm standing there right in front of him.) Anyway, it's a long story but I'll be flying out tomorrow instead, God willing.

There's always a positive - I now have a little more time to spend with the Hesches (I'm staying at their house tonight) and a little more time to spend in the warmth. Tonight is just lovely - I'm not sure anything will ever soothe me as much as a warm summer night does.

Meg and I did Durban in a day yesterday - well, not all of it, but we did a lot. I had about 4 days of Durban tourist activities planned for the end of my trip but stayed in Coffee Bay for 3 of those days (which I don't regret). We went to Essenwood Craft Market in the morning, had a wonderfully creative lunch from a stand there - bread, avocado, tomato, feta, some sauces. Yum. Then we went to Victoria Street Market and I shopped like crazy, walked around uShaka Marine World at the southern end of the beachfront and drove out to The Point right by the entrance to the harbor.

I said goodbye to the ocean this morning and it was hard. I'm not too sad about leaving Durban (Coffee Bay was the hard one to let go of) but leaving the ocean breaks my heart. A wave came up to meet my toes and we shared a moment with a seagull. Then I walked away. It would be easier if I knew when I would be back, but I don't.

Coming soon... my 'Best of Durban' list.

1 comment:

SouthAfrica said...

I enjoyed your previous blog about Coffee Bay, and good to see you've managed to book a flight from Durban! Looking forward to the best of Durbs list...for me it would probably be the views from the top of the Holiday Inn on Marine Parade.