Monday, March 5, 2007

Home Part II

So I've become somewhat of a resident here at Coffee Shack. It's quite lovely. Every time I think I might leave I decide to stay another day or two. And when I tell the staff my new planned departure date they smile at me - knowing I likely won't stick to it and saying, "You'll stay forever, you love us!" And I agree - I do love it. But I am flying back home on Sunday, so I must make it back to Durban by then.

The staff has been incredible from the moment I arrived - remembering everyone's name (which is impressive with 40+ guests on any given night) and making it feel just like home. If I'm not greeted by my name it's "sweetie" or "sisi" - it feels so much like a big family of people from random corners of the world. There are about 30 people from the local village employed here and 30% of the profits go back into the community. It's impressive, to say the least.

I met a girl who was born in Minneapolis and will be moving back in a few months to do her residency. We got to talking and it turns out her grandma lives about three doors down from me on Parkview Blvd. How's that for a small world story?

No comments: