Friday, January 5, 2007

A Brief Overview

I first visited Durban in May 2002 and I fell in love with it for several reasons. For one, it’s a coastal city. For two, it’s dynamic. That’s really the best word that I can come up with, unfortunately.

The population of the city is about 3 million. There is an incredible mix of cultures – Zulu (68%), Indian (20%), and White/Afrikaner (9%). The history of South Africa is complex (and troubling) and watching the post-apartheid era unfold – the racism, political differences, cultural differences, and socio-economic differences – is absolutely fascinating.

Like any city, it has its problems – most notably: poverty, crime, and HIV/AIDS.

During apartheid, blacks and Indians were forced to live in townships outside the city. Many families still live in these townships and most are without flush toilets and running water. The unemployment rate is high and many households have no income.

Around 1994, South Africa was called "the murder capital of the world." Crime has since lessened but is still an obvious concern. It’s dangerous to walk alone at night and most homes in wealthy areas have barbed wire fences and security systems.

And like the rest of Africa, HIV/AIDS is prevalent and the infection rate is increasing. It is estimated that around 35% of the population is infected. That’s 1 out of every 3 people I see when walking down the street. Unbelievable.

So that’s a brief background; from my very limited knowledge.

In lighter news, my apartment is right on the beach and I drink my coffee in the morning while watching the waves come in. The ocean really is beautiful and I am thankful to be so close to it after spending the past 25 years in the Midwest. I am even able to buy Cheerios (Otees) and ramen here. That’s luxury!

It has been 80+ degrees, humid and cloudy, for the most part. Summer is the rainy season.

Sarah and Paul’s wedding was Christmas weekend and there have been lots of people in town and lots going on. Sarah and Paul just left yesterday and now that life has calmed my goal is to get in touch with some non-profit organizations and find a place to volunteer while I’m here.

That’s my life these days. And here are some photos:


Hiking in Kloof


Spices at Victoria Street Market


Beachfront at night


I found this one online - my building is the one in the lower right corner



Wishing everyone a happy New Year!

No comments: