Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Say what?

South Africa has 11 official languages – English, Afrikaans, and nine tribal languages. That’s a lot to keep track of. In Durban, most people speak English and it is the language of business – though not the majority’s first language. Most blacks speak Zulu amongst each other – or a Zulu/English mix, it seems (again, I’m not the expert).

Anyway, English is good because - as most of you know - that’s what I speak. Unfortunately, I do not speak South African English. So understanding the accent has been difficult at times. And being understood has been difficult at times (most often when I’m trying to ask for water, which I must pronounce significantly different than everyone else).

On top of the accent business, there are quite a few words and phrases that will take some getting used to (as there are in any new culture).

For example:

sorry = excuse me or that’s unfortunate (when you need to pass by someone, when someone drops something)
South African: Sorry!
Me: Um, for what?
South African: You dropped your bag.
Me: Oh, uhh… thanks
isit? = really?
Me: I haven’t seen a movie in quite some time.
South African: Isit?
Me: Uhh… yes. It is
howzit? = how are you?
now now = now
just now = anytime but now
have = take (e.g. “have a shower”)
stay = reside (e.g. “She stays in Johannesburg.”)
pleasure = you’re welcome
shame = that’s unfortunate
hey? = pardon?
hey = (used at the end of a sentence for emphasis, e.g. “There are a lot of people at the beach, hey.”)

And that's about all I know.

No comments: