Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Just an Update

I'm without internet access at my apartment again (the power cord on my computer died) - and I know I owe a lot of people email responses, so please be patient with me if you're one of them. :)

I met with, Paul, the Programs Director at the Durban YMCA yesterday and he is great. I'm going to be volunteering there - helping out with administrative/programming stuff and also just hanging out and playing with the kids. The center is located in a not-so-safe area of the city, Albert Park, and they have kids/teens/youth clubs with about 400 members and activities every day of the week. The programming staff is made up of only 4 people so they definitely have their hands full. Paul also said that I am more than welcome to start up any programs or activities that I want while I'm here - an amazing opportunity! So I'm thankful to have found something so wonderful... and I feel like this is just the type of organization I was looking to be a part of.

In other news, Joel (Sarah's brother) left for his bike trip yesterday (he's biking from Durban to Kampala, Uganda over the next 3 months - see his blog under my links) and it's sad that he's gone but really exciting that his journey is underway.

Oh, and I rode the Minibus Taxi for the first time - it was a little squishy and a little loud, but all in all, a pleasent experience.

That's all for now...

2 comments:

Educational Adventures - Project Travel said...

I'm so happy that you found something so amazing! Excellent! And I'm glad you made it through your first minibus experience. Who did you take it with? Love you!

anne said...

I rode the Minibus Taxi by myself. I'm actually quite competent when on my own, believe it or not. ;)