Friday, January 5, 2007

Of Life and Purses

One of the largest lifestyle adjustments I’ve made since I’ve been in South Africa (and I know this sounds silly) is not carrying my purse with me everywhere I go. Crime is a big concern, especially in the larger cities. Every guide and piece of tourist info that I have seen makes some mention of mugging and pick pocketing – we’re bordering on paranoia.

I was at the mall my first day here with my purse hanging off my shoulder and a very kind, young South African woman said, "Hold on to your bag, lovey." Mostly, I thought it was strange that she called me lovey, but I was grateful that someone is watching out for the clueless foreigners.

So I leave my purse at home and put my keys and whatever money I will need in my pockets. (I even put a hair binder on my key ring so I can attach them to my underwear if I don’t have pockets.) That means I am frequently without lip balm, floss, tissues and hand sanitizer but I am proud to say that I am adapting well. In fact, I’d go as far as to say it’s liberating. The only downside is that I haven’t been carrying my camera with me and have taken few photos.

I’m starting to feel mostly at ease in my immediate neighborhood and at the beach – and don’t worry, Mom, I am cautious. I try to stay near areas with lots of people and don’t walk alone at night. But going downtown is still a little scary. The Lonely Planet guide offers this tip: "Don’t assume that everyone is out to get you." It might take me a while to get used to that idea but it helps to know that if I am mugged I won’t lose much.

No comments: